Friday, August 16, 2013

DIY Custom Frame

So I purchased some prints from my friend's amazingly talented husband Russ Layton. The picture below is one of the two prints I purchased from him. I have had these prints just sitting around waiting to be hung, but was waiting to have them framed. The pictures are not your typical 5x7 or 8x10 so I knew that having them custom framed would run me approx $200, ouch! I just updated my bedroom wall colour from a warm Louisiana Hotsauce to an icy Platnum Plate. I absolutely love how my black and red furniture pops against the grey walls, but my Winners Homesense artwork just wasn't cutting it. The framed artwork that I bought at Winners was about the same dimensions as Russ' cool city scape paintings. I decided to see if I could swap my old painting for my new prints from Russ.  I peeled back the paper on the back of the frame, carefully pulled back the wire anchors that were holding the picture in place and seperated the picture from the mat (it was glued down to the mat so I did have to rip it off). In the end I ended up saving myself tons of money in custom framing! I think the artwork in frames from Winners originally costed me under $20, so I will now give myself a pat on the back. Definitely worth going to check out the art section in a store like Winners just for the frames, never mind the artwork! Russ' art looks great in my newly painted room and I am enjoying my mini bedroom makeover.


No comments:

Post a Comment